Friday 9 May 2014

On Ambition



'And I know, too, how destructive ambition is, and how it deforms what one might create. And yet, and yet, I want to be acknowledged.' - Willa Muir, Journal, 20th of August 1953

***

When I was six, I had the good fortune to be at a school where the academic priority seemed to be to get us to write. Write whatever, as long as we were writing. Most of us couldn't even read yet but that was apparently unimportant as long as we were cooking up our own works of literary genius. I remember that I understood how to use metaphors, for instance, but not full stops.

It was an interesting time during my personal artistic development.

Amongst other things, we would have to write descriptions of what we did at the weekend every Monday morning. At some point, presumably around Guy Fawkes night, I wrote about going to see fireworks, and received a special gold star sticker and the mysterious commendation from my teacher that I 'could be a writer' when I grew up. I had no idea what that meant, but if it came with more of these gold stars, I was game.

Thus was an ambitious young writer born.

***

In my third year at university I fell in love with a little known Scottish novelist named Willa Muir – which is a pity because by that point she'd been dead for forty years.

She's much less famous than her poet husband, Edwin Muir, although current research suggests that it was she, not Edwin, who was mostly responsible for the Kafka translations that made his name in the western literary scene of the early-mid 20th century.

And therein lies something of what drew me to her work and which pulls me back to it every now and again.

In her lifetime, Willa wrote only two novels: Mrs Ritchie and Imagined Corners, both witty examinations of family, class and gender in small town Scotland in the 1920s-40s, both of which I loved. They're vibrant, funny books full of bristling politics and human characters, keenly drawn with a sharp voice that feels about a generation ahead of its time.

But she never wrote anything else and eventually died in relative obscurity. This woman lived into the 1970s and was, as a result, witness to some of the greatest social upheavals of our time: the fact that her work reflects only a fraction of that is a horrible shame. What Willa didn't write about is, frankly, as telling as what she did.

It's clear from Willa's personal writings, journals and letters, that though she wasn't without ambition, she sacrificed her aspirations to help with her husbands' – that instead of pursuing her own career, she supported his, to the point of doing most of the work he was famous for, for him.

What is also clear is that she regretted it. In her personal letters and diaries she voices a concise knowledge of what it cost her and how that pains her:

'I am a better translator than [Edwin] is. The whole current of patriarchal society is set against this fact, however and sweeps it into oblivion, simply because I did not insist on shouting aloud: “Most of this translation, especially Kafka, has been done by me. Edwin only helped.” … So that now … I am left without a shred of literary reputation.' (Journal, 20th of August, 1953).

Willa was a woman with ability and ambition who felt that her lack of courage (she called it her 'dicky backbone') had held her back from the work she should have spent her life creating, which in turn denied her the reputation that she deserved.

I'd argue that she may have been overly harsh with herself: it's easy for me, living three generations later, to look back and see the myriad of societal forces stacked up against female writers trying to find their voices during this period. In many cases, it feels more like luck and class privilege that allowed those few women who broke into the mainstream to be heard, not courage. (I'm aware that that is often still true today). But, facing far fewer of those obstacles myself, do I have any excuse to give into my own fears the way Willa felt she did hers?

Willa reminds me, forcefully, never to fear reaching for my ambitions.

***
There are days when I wake up so restless I feel like I have ants under my skin.

I once wrote a story about my grandmother's death – the closest person I had to a grandmother, anyway. I said that when she died her body blossomed. I turned the swelling caused by all the steroids she was on into a garden, I said her body was only brewing life, her death was transformation.

I'm not sure that that's true. I miss her, and she hasn't turned into a garden.

I feel like I might, though. I feel like I could grow flowers, in her place. Just as I can't fathom her going to nothing (I don't believe she went to nothing; I know that nothing in this world ever truly disappears, that water is recycled, that Helen of Troy cried tears that are still out there, somewhere), I know I can't allow myself to go to nothing. I want to cough up seedlings, I want to grow bluebells in my belly; I have an oaktree in my head.

I choke on words – I have to practice not swallowing them.

***
I'm Scottish. I was born in Edinburgh, I've spent most of the first twenty five years of my life there. I moved south only last year. I miss it.

I left because I had to. Like Willa Muir, like Muriel Spark, like Jackie Kay – there are a wealth of Scottish writers across three generations now who had to get the fuck out of the country before they could write about it or about anything else. Scotland is precious and beautiful and strange and brilliant but also small, and it lacks the resources necessary for an ambitious young screenwriter like me to launch the kind of the career she really wants.

If I'm honest with myself I want more than I ever publicly state. I was reluctant to come to terms with that some years ago when it first dawned on me that I would have to move to London (I thought, I'll stay in Edinburgh, become a teacher and write novels – that's enough, isn't it? But I knew it wasn't); I am reluctant to come to terms with it now that it dawns on me that I may have to move even further afield.

I say I want to work in British TV and I do. But the more familiar I become with that world the smaller the reality seems (soaps. Soaps are were the steady money is. Christ. Soaps? Soaps. And if you wanna write soaps that's great but... do I? Really?), and I remember that a woman who graduated only two years ahead of me from my filmschool just sold a script to an American production company for three hundred thousand dollars and I think Jesus I should dream a little bigger.

Why shouldn't I dream a little bigger? What, like the soaps are going somewhere? I have precisely nothing to lose, and yet I'm afraid to even breath the possibility of more than feels safe. I don't feel entitled to that.

Ambition is a tricky thing because women are told not to be ambitious. Or, well, we can be ambitious (lean in, ladies!) but we can't be bitches about it – which boils down to us being told that we can want whatever we want but we must never ask for it. Which boils down to sitting on our hands and hoping our dreams will land in our laps and I can't accept that.

Willa Muir didn't die in obscurity for me to accept that.

And I don't believe that the problem is with the attitude of the oppressed, I believe, as Hellen Keller once said, that the inferiority of women is man-made. We live in a patriarchy: individual women taking the initiative will not change that. It's often not possible for many individuals, especially those in poverty, to take any kind of initiative at all (doubly or more so for those of us whose sexualities or gender identities or disabilities or skin colours increase our risk factors for poverty, for suffering violence and and non-violent oppression during our life times). That's why the patriarchy is considered an oppressive system.

But I'm increasingly convinced that being ambitious may be the only way for me, personally, to survive it.

My vulnerabilities, my social anxieties, the level to which I care – deeply, unfathomably – about how others perceive me, all habits picked up via a lifetime of homophobia, of misogyny, of myriad societal systems chip-chip-chipping at my self-esteem, all play into blinkering me even from dreaming bigger than myself, let alone reaching. And that is not okay. I will not take that, the robbery of my dreams, without a fight.

I don't want to be obnoxious – I'm at a filmschool, I see plenty of obnoxious people and good god save me from getting lost up my own arse – but I've decided, lately, that I won't be weak. (And if that means having to be obnoxious sometimes? Fine.) I turn twenty five in a couple of months and I am tired of acting like a little girl, of swallowing my ambitions, of staying meek and helpless to make others comfortable – because god forbid I be thought of as anything other than that horrible word 'nice'. I am a grown up, I have a fucking career to worry about.


I am full of potential – there are bluebells in my belly – and I can't look back in thirty years and know I wasted it, especially not because I was afraid. 

No comments:

Post a Comment